Three BANGLADESHI siblings chose to STAY inside burning Grenfell Tower with elderly parents rather than let them die alone

grenfell tower

Three young siblings decided to die with elderly parents in the Grenfell Tower tragedy. A bride-to-be, Husna Begum, was only 22, with brothers Hanif of 26 and Hamid of 29, called their relative and told them their decision.  One of the brothers, Mohammed Hakim, was present in the tower earlier that evening, but had left before the blaze – he is only one who survived.

The last time when the relatives heard from them, was after 2 hours since the fire had stormed up. They explained that they wouldn’t leave their elderly mother Rabeya and father Kamru Miah. The mother was in her late 60s, and father was 82-year-old.

In such a tough period the British-Bangladeshis were stronger than the relatives on the other side of the phone. They said they were ‘going to a better place’. It is assumed that they had about an hour to leave after the fire had spread – from 12:50 am. to 1:45 am. they could have made their way out. The last phone call was spoken at 3:10 am.

grenfell tower
Credit: EYEVINE / Grenfell Tower

Their cousin, Samir Ahmad, who spoke to them, quoted his late siblings say, “their dad could barely walk anyway. What were they going to do? Abandon him?” According to the conversation, the siblings could have left their parents by 1.45 am., but they didn’t.

On the final conversation, he said,

“My auntie spoke to Hanif. He was very calm. He said his time had come, and not to mourn for them, but be happy for them because they would be in a better place.”

Samir praised his cousins and said that they weren’t cowards. They stayed with their parents as they were important to them. The family lived together and died together. The children could have had haunting memories of their parent’s death, which they would have had to live with, all through their lives. Husna Begum was going to get married in Leicester in July. Her extended family and distraught fiance had met for the public prayer ceremony held at 6 pm. today.